During the COVID-19 pandemic, San Angelo ISD provided free meals to all students, regardless of income eligibility, with support from federal funding authorized by the United States Congress. This federal funding has ended and SAISD will now be required to return to charging for lunches for the 2022-2023 school year. Free breakfast will still be provided by SAISD each school day.
Through the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), families who qualify will still be eligible to receive a free or reduced lunch meal for their student during the upcoming school year by completing the short, online application at SchoolCafe (if you have not created a SchoolCafe account, you will need to do so in order to access the form). We request all SAISD families complete the form to determine eligibility before the start of the school year on Wednesday, August 17th. Once logged into your SchoolCafe account, click on the "Dashboard" tab on the lefthand side, and then select the "Apply for Benefits" tab to complete the online application.
See how quick and easy it is to apply by watching the short walkthrough video below.
Only one application needs to be completed per household. Your application may mean both free or lower priced meals for your child and more federal and state dollars directed to your child’s school and district.
In order for a student to receive free or reduced-price meals, they and their families need to meet some of the criteria below, including:
- Income Eligibility: Household income that is at or below the income eligibility levels
- Categorical or Automatic Eligibility: Household receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF); or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Program Participant Eligibility: Child’s status as a foster child, homeless, runaway, migrant, or displaced by a declared disaster
- Child’s enrollment in Head Start or Even Start
Lunch prices for the upcoming school year are:
|2022-2023 Lunch Prices||Elementary||Secondary|
In addition to free or reduced meals, eligible students may also qualify for:
- Additional federal and state dollars directed to your child’s school and district,
- Helps families qualify for Pandemic EBT benefits,
- Materials for schools like Chromebooks, iPads, hotspots for internet service, and take-home to read book packs,
- support from community and school service organizations,
- discounted fees for student testing for Advanced Placement (AP), SAT or ACT tests,
- reduced costs for college application fees, and
- help in securing low-cost internet rates and services.
Student eligibility numbers for schools are also a factor in school qualification for money for supplies and materials needed at the campus. Last year, money determined based on eligible applications helped fund SAISD campus programs like take-home to read book packs.
San Angelo ISD is committed to helping our students continue to have access to nutritious meals. For more information, contact the SAISD Child Nutrition department at (325) 659-3615. We appreciate families taking the time to complete this important application. This institution is an equal opportunity provider. Follow the San Angelo ISD Facebook, Twitter, and website, www.saisd.org, for related updates and to stay up-to-date on San Angelo ISD.